Have a pretty specific situation I am hoping you can give advice on. I was advised by my physician handling invitro fertilization to get trip insurance for a trip I am planning in September, in the event that I have complications when completing an IVF cycle 1-2 wks prior to trip departure.
We are traveling to Hawaii and the hotels have no cancellation fee. Rental cars cancellation would be $40. The big expense in the flight, which would be about $1000 each. Hawaiian airlines will issue a credit, but we would most likely not be able to use this in the year time frame. In addition, we would be out any fare difference and $150 pp reservation change.
In talking with the provider linked with Hawaiian Air, I would be ineligible for a refund given that IVF is considered elective surgery. In addition, this would be considered a pre-existing condition.
I have found some policies with a waiver of the pre-existing condition, but the “legalese” make it pretty hard to determine, if my specific case would be covered.
Can you give any advice?
Thank you for writing. I am happy to give you specific advice as to how to correctly use trip cancellation travel insurance on your trip.
Next, I hope your IVF is successful. We weren’t able to have children so we adopted ours from Russia and Guatemala.
The only plans that will cover you for trip cancellation are the ones with the Cancel For Any Reason coverage. And, the latest you can cancel your trip with these zre 48 hours or 2 days before you leave. Tip: 48 hours does not equal 2 calendar days.
On my CFAR page, you’ll see I address a potential problem you may have when you cancel your trip. Review this blog post to find out more, too: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/blog/cancel-your-plane-ticket-or-pay-the-change-fee/
Let me know if you need more information.
I hope this makes sense. If you want the right travel insurance advice, call us at 1-888-407-3854 and we’ll help you figure it all out.
Now, a word from our sponsor: TripInsuranceStore.com (the Most Exclusive, Informative & Friendliest Travel Insurance Comparison Site)
- Save your time & money with 6 pre-screened companies (you don’t need 100+ travel or cruise insurance plans).
- You get personalized service from Deanna, Becky, Tara or Steve at 1-888-407-3854 (US, Canada). Or email us.
- Do you want a relationship with your travel insurance supplier? If so, you’ll fit right in. If you’d rather not get to know us, you’ll still find everything you need to get the right travel insurance plan.
- Get side-by-side plan & price comparisons
- You get our exclusive Smile of Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee