We are planning to purchase non-refundable airline tickets. Expedia told us the tickets are refundable – we would lose only the handling fee (around $200) but keep the face value and we must use it in next year. Does that mean if we cancel our trip for a covered reason, we might not get full cash refund of our air ticket? Mimi
Hi Mimi, this is a common question since there’s so much mis-information about what part, if any, of an airline ticket is refundable.
Even though Expedia told you the tickets are refundable, the truth is they are non-refundable. Otherwise, why would they force you to pay a change fee instead of refunding your money? In reality, you will never get you your money back if you can’t travel. If you choose to pay the approximately $200 handling fee, you can re-use your tickets within one year. The big drawback to paying the handling fee is if you cannot travel within the year because the tickets are non-transferable to someone else.
Compare this to one of our pre-screened travel insurance plans, which, if you cancel your trip for a covered reason, you are reimbursed you based on what you actually paid out of pocket for your tickets (assuming you insured the trip’s prepaid non-refundable trip cost), not the just change fee.
Take a look at this article to help you decide which route to take: Cancel Your Plane Ticket Or Pay The Change Fee?
Now, a word from our sponsor: TripInsuranceStore.com (the Most Exclusive, Informative & Friendliest Travel Insurance Comparison Site)
- Save your time & money with 6 pre-screened companies (you don’t need 100+ travel or cruise insurance plans).
- You get personalized service from Deanna, Becky, Tara or Steve at 1-888-407-3854 (US, Canada). Or email us.
- Do you want a relationship with your travel insurance supplier? If so, you’ll fit right in. If you’d rather not get to know us, you’ll still find everything you need to get the right travel insurance plan.
- Get side-by-side plan & price comparisons
- You get our exclusive Smile of Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee